Wisconsin continues to be a national leader in organic food production, despite the fact that certified organic farms, acreage and production represent only a small fraction of agriculture in the state. This report provides a snapshot of the current status of organic agriculture in Wisconsin, and summarizes some of the opportunities and challenges in the organic marketplace. In it, we discuss recent state government involvement in organic agriculture in Wisconsin. It also summarizes statistics on organic agricultural production in Wisconsin and presents research on organic processing and marketing.
Download selected figures from the report (high resolution .jpg files):
- Figure 1. Number of certified organic farms by state, 2003
- Figure 2. Amount of certified organic cropland by state, 2003
- Figure 3. Number of certified organic farms in Wisconsin counties, 2005
- Figure 4. Food system quadrants
- Figure 7. Average milk price per year
- Figure 8. Wisconsin school participating in the USDA Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Snack Program, 2006-2007