This survey explored the views, opinions and perceptions of Wisconsin dairy producers about custom grazing heifers. Findings included:
- All types of Wisconsin dairy producers perceive that grazing has positive implications for the health and productivity of dairy heifers.
- In order to appeal to Wisconsin dairy producers, potential custom grazing heifer operations must be cost competitive.
- Confinement operations are most likely to consider custom heifer raising as a management option, but are reluctant to consider custom heifer rearing for the summer only.
- Wisconsin dairy producers seem adverse to custom heifer rearing businesses where heifers are grazed in the summer on one operation and sent to another confinement operation in the winter.
- Any custom heifer business requires attention to cost and disease control to appeal to the concerns of dairy producers.
Related publication: Dairy farmers share custom heifer raising preferences (Research Brief #75)